February 27, 2018

Suttyn's Birth


Only 2 minutes old - SO PERFECT!
It was a somewhat difficult pregnancy.  I did not feel well for a very long time.  When I went in for my glucose test at 28 weeks I was sure I was going to fail because my pregnancy sickness never subsided.  I did fail my initial glucose test.  I went back for the three hour test.  You have to pass 2 out of the 3 tests.  I passed one, failed one, and passed one by 1 point.  Technically, I passed my 3 hour glucose test but I was having all the symptoms for gestational diabetes.  I had to test my blood, write down everything I ate, meet with the dietician, and speak with them several times a week.  Since I technically passed my test, my insurance would not cover medication for gestational diabetes.  I did everything humanely possible to keep my blood sugar levels under control with diet and exercise.  They made me take a 2 hour glucose test hoping I'd fail so insurance would cover medication, but again I just borderline passed which mean't no insulin.  I pretty much ate the same three meals for 10 weeks and eliminated all breads, potatoes, white grains and fruits.  It left me with meat and vegetables... my absolute least favorite food groups.  It was a struggle!  I spent hours exercising every day to keep my blood sugar levels under control.  I'd walk after meals at school, and walk, walk, walk some more at home.  I didn't eat any sort of dessert the entire time.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were rough.  It was hard to hear that I had gestational diabetes when I run so much and eat fairly healthy.  There were a lot of tears and frustration during this pregnancy. At my 38 week, 6 day appointment Dr. Rens asked if I could come in the next day after basketball practice to be induced.  It was perfect timing with a busy basketball schedule.

We went in on Thursday night, December 7 as soon as Wade got home from practice.  Everything went pretty good.  I got an epidural around 1:00 in the morning.  I was having back labor that I couldn't control with any kind of breathing.  The epidural did not work at first so he gave me a lot of medicine.... ended up being too much in the end.  I never got the urge to push.  When a new shift of nurses came they suggested just trying to push.  It was a good idea.  Suttyn was born 15 minutes later at 3:24 AM after only three rounds of pushing.  She was so perfect - that's what I kept saying when I was holding her.  She was 8 lbs. 2 oz.  An ounce less than Saylor and a few more than Collyns.  They were very happy with her weight considering the biggest issue with gestational diabetes is a big baby.  She was 20.5 inches long.

It got a little messy when Wade cut the umbilical cord.
8 lbs. 2 oz.
20.5 inches 
Late night, proud Daddy!
Happy Birthday Suttyn Haisley!

No comments:

Post a Comment