Our sweet Collyns Makiah was born on Monday, February 17 at exactly 11 pm. Here is her birth story. I had been dealing with high blood pressure for a month. The doctor kept watching it but on Tuesday, February 11, at my 38 week appointment he thought I needed further blood work. Wednesday morning I got a phone call at school that I was to be on bed rest and come in for a non stress test immediately. Collyns passed the non stress test with flying colors. So I stayed on bed rest. I did not have any problems with high blood pressure with Saylor's pregnancy and I had no risk factors for it. But, we had been/were extremely busy with school and basketball. The week before we had five basketball games in five days. I remember telling Wade that I was so exhausted and if I went into labor I just didn't think I would have the energy. I can't help but think the high blood pressure and bed rest was God giving me time to rest and making me slow down. So, Friday I had another appointment and my blood pressure continued to climb despite bed rest. More labs and tests were ordered over the weekend and another non stress test on Monday. Again, Collyns passed the non stress test but my blood pressure still climbed. Dr. Rens decided it was best to get me started before the high blood pressure turned into anything more serious. I went home to get my bags and Wade and I headed back to the hospital around 1pm. By 2:00 they had started the pitocin and because of my elevated blood pressure I was only allowed to lay on my left side (of course the opposite side of the TV hanging in the room.) We passed time watching several episodes of The Big Bang Theory. At 7pm Dr. Rens came to check on me but not a whole lot was going on besides being dialated a bit more. He came back at 9:20pm and broke my water. I started to have painful contractions and we called for the epidural. The anethesiologist arrived and had the epidural in by 10:30pm. He also gave me something that made me very sleepy and all I wanted to do was take a nap. The nurse said I could because I was only dialated to a 7. However, Collyns was ready to meet the world and by 10:50 she just couldn't wait any longer! Dr. Rens arrived at 10:58pm and Collyns arrived at 11:00pm. She weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 21.5 inches long. Below are some of the first pictures of our Collyns Makiah.














No comments:
Post a Comment